Monday, January 6, 2014

Actress Padmapriya to focus on new films in 2014


PadmapriyaHaving taken a sabbatical last year to complete her masters in public administration in New York University on a merit scholarship, popular actress Padmapriya is seeking to move beyond what she has done professionally by starring afresh in 2014.


"My sole objective is to move beyond what I have done professionally. To create a new resume of films and expressions is the only focal point for 2014 for me. Nothing else is getting my attention," she told PTI.
She returned two months ago and has been hearing a lot of scripts but declined to elaborate. "Professionally, I haven't done any film in 2013 as I was studying in NYU. I did do some student films for my friends in Tisch School (film school at NYU) but nothing other than that."
The feature film 'Papilio Buddha' dealing with discrimination against landless Dalits, shot in Wayanad in Kerala directed by Jayan and 'Thangameengal', directed by Ram, were guest appearances done much before she left for the US.
"Unfortunately, they both took a lot of time in their making. I did them because I like both these filmmakers and their craft.
"I am happy that 'Thangameengal' was the only Tamil Film in International Film Festival of India and Papilio Buddha has been selected in the prestigious Berlin festival."
Padmapriya says she is attracted to strong women roles but does not believe that she has been typecast into playing such characters.
"Whether it was Lakshmi in 'Kazcha', Mira in 'Vadakkumnathan', Sainaba in 'Amrutham', Nili in 'Pazhassi Raja', Kunni pennu in 'Naal Penungal' or Chella killi in 'Rajamanikkam' or character in 'Karutha Pakshigal', none are
the crying types. At least I saw them as strong women who
found solutions to their lives instead of succumbing or crying
over it.
"As far as casting in Bollywood is concerned, it is extremely complex and not as simple. Being established in the South (for actresses) is not a roadmap to to Bollywood. What it does is make it easier to have a portfolio and network in the industry but that is not the only way one can get films in the North. It needs a far more dedicated effort to be out there." As for romantic roles in Mollywood, Padmapriya claimed she has done one of the most romantic films made in Malayalam in the last five years - 'Vadakkumnathan' (Mohanlal starrer).
"Having said that there are not as much purely romantic films made in Malayalam. Whether that affects my chance elsewhere, Malayalam is a different industry and cannot be compared to other states in the South."
Padmapriya, who was singled out for special mention by the National Film awards jury for performances in various roles in 2010, started her career in the industry in 2003 with a Telugu film, 'Seenu Vasanthi Lakshmi.'
The jury made a special mention for the "range and skill of an actor to portray varied characters in films of different languages.
She had essayed different roles in 'Pazhassi Raja', 'Kutty Srank' (both Malayalam) and Pokkisham (Tamil). Kutty Srank in fact got the award for best feature film that year.
She has got to do more Tamil and Malayalam films than Telugu and admitted it was quite strange.
"Yes it is strange, stranger because I live in Hyderabad and won the Miss AP crown here. Having said that, being in films is a measure of both talent and destiny. If I am destined to do more Telugu films I will."
Padmapriya, who has handled several varied roles, said her journey in the industry has been memorable and it would be unfair to list the top five out of the 47 odd films she has done so far.
She said each film and filmmaker are special and have played an important role in her life.
"I am super lucky to have a resume which has all kinds of filmmakers and films and hence experiences as a person and actress for me. Thanks to these filmmakers I can boast of a repertoire of films that is difficult for any contemporary actress in the Indian film industry to match."
She said surviving for nine years and still being able to add value and freshness as a lead actress itself is a big achievement in Indian film industry. "So, coming back from a study break or not does not matter as the journey is tough.
"For me getting scripts has never been a issue and it does not seem to be the case now after the break as well. What matters to me right now is being able to choose right. Fortunately, I started young and have a lot of time ahead of me to make these choices wisely and not in a hurry."
***News From Online***